Get Elemental shaman back on track

Disclaimer: It's been a long time since I last played and obviously things in the game have changed and if anything I said was untrue or misleading please tell me, but I also want feedback, Elemental Shaman is my favorite class to play and it sucks ass to see it the way it is right now. Ultimately I want change but even some feedback from developers would be nice.

Hi there friends, it's your friendly neighborhood shaman Notshrek here.
    I know I've only been back for 3 or 4 days but I think it's fair to say that currently, Elemental shaman is well and truly shafted. I'm no expert but I think some slight changes would go a long way to fixing the dumpster fire that is Elemental shaman.

1) Significantly buff the flametongue on hit damage and replace all spell haste on shaman gear with normal haste. I have 70k haste on my shaman currently and only 13k of that actually goes towards my attack speed, pair that with the fact that flametongue weapon does absolutely abhorrent on hit damage and it's just incredibly unfortunate. Buff flametongue and remove spell haste, this will allow elemental shamans to melee in fights, get maelstrom procs a lot faster, allowing them to cast faster yet also do some significant melee damage as well. I'm not saying the elemental shaman should be able to top dps just melee'ing with flametongue, but I think it should be enough to contribute noticeably.

2) Make flame shock duration scale off haste. I know there were a number of abilities that had their haste scaling capped or removed, but Elemental needs it. Before I had a break from this server, flame shock would be my highest damaging ability, now it's my lowest damage ability. In my opinion this has hurt elemental shaman hugely, because I don't think compensation was put in place to counter the loss to damage.

3) Buff or replace the 4 set bonus on Elemental gear. I honestly don't think the set bonus is actually terrible fundamentally but I think the dot needs to tick faster or have a larger percentage of your lightning bolt damage on it to really be useful. I'll admit, I don't know what to replace the 4 set bonus with but either way, it needs to be changed because at its' current state I simply do not think it's acceptable.

4) Make a donor (and/or voter) totem. This totem would have stats on it that directly influence the power of certain abilities, be that a 30% damage bonus to flame shock ticks after casting lava burst (That was off the top of my head) or something along those lines. The only downside to this is that no other class has a donor/voter weapon aimed directly at them (Other than the hunter xbows) and that could cause some feeling of unfairness among the rest of the player base so I can see why this idea may not be considered as a legitimate option.

Even one of these changes I think would go a long way with helping Elemental Shaman climb out of the position its' currently in, but that's all I want, I just want to not be worried about being ignored from further raid groups simply because I'm an Elemental Shaman. I don't want to be broken, I don't want to be the top dps, I just want to be competitive in some fashion, and at the moment, Elemental Shaman competes in nothing.

Shadow priests, mages and Balance druids are currently the highes dps classes on higher tier fights if I'm not wrong. Warlock with end tier gear is decent, but could use a slight buff. Elemental shamans currently are just ass - damage wise.

As I mentioned in another post already Lava Burst is supposed to hit a shitton due to a cooldown on it. I believe mages Pyroblast hits more than Lava burst.
    2 out of 3 shadow priest Dots should scale with haste but are not. Flameshock should scale with haste but is not, corruption is scaling with haste with the glpyh as intended. In my opinion it should be all or none. I don't want shadowpriest dots to tick 3 seconds like corruption, that's bad. Aswell would that be bad for ele imo. locks can keep up corruption with shadowbolt, drain life, haunt and drain soul. Priests and shamans need to reapply the dots manually.

tl;dr Flameshock and other spells that are supposed to be affected by haste like Vampiric Touch or Devouring Plague should be affected by haste aswell, just not benefit from it as much as corruption does currently. Shadow priests i.e. don't profit from Bloodlust currently in any form.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyrez View Post
    Shadow priests, mages and Balance druids are currently the highes dps classes on higher tier fights if I'm not wrong. Warlock with end tier gear is decent, but could use a slight buff. Elemental shamans currently are just ass - damage wise.

As I mentioned in another post already Lava Burst is supposed to hit a shitton due to a cooldown on it. I believe mages Pyroblast hits more than Lava burst.
    2 out of 3 shadow priest Dots should scale with haste but are not. Flameshock should scale with haste but is not, corruption is scaling with haste with the glpyh as intended. In my opinion it should be all or none. I don't want shadowpriest dots to tick 3 seconds like corruption, that's bad. Aswell would that be bad for ele imo. locks can keep up corruption with shadowbolt, drain life, haunt and drain soul. Priests and shamans need to reapply the dots manually.

tl;dr Flameshock and other spells that are supposed to be affected by haste like Vampiric Touch or Devouring Plague should be affected by haste aswell, just not benefit from it as much as corruption does currently. Shadow priests i.e. don't profit from Bloodlust currently in any form.
    You're so correct, I got told twice today by other people in my raids that Elemental was terrible and I'd be better off playing another class.

Lava burst absolutely should do more damage, I agree flame shock should have scaling from haste but yes it's probably best for there to be a cap on it. I know Lava Burst is guaranteed crit if the target has Flame Shock on it, obviously critting isn't an issue though and there's no damage increase on Lava Burst if flame shock is on the target or not. Perhaps if they changed it so Lava Burst dealt 40 or 50% more damage if it hit a target with flame shock on it as well, doesn't necessarily have to be 40 or 50% but i'm sure you get the groove im throwing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat0017 View Post
    You're so correct, I got told twice today by other people in my raids that Elemental was terrible and I'd be better off playing another class.

Lava burst absolutely should do more damage, I agree flame shock should have scaling from haste but yes it's probably best for there to be a cap on it. I know Lava Burst is guaranteed crit if the target has Flame Shock on it, obviously critting isn't an issue though and there's no damage increase on Lava Burst if flame shock is on the target or not. Perhaps if they changed it so Lava Burst dealt 40 or 50% more damage if it hit a target with flame shock on it as well, doesn't necessarily have to be 40 or 50% but i'm sure you get the groove im throwing down.
    Sounds about right. Lava Burst is intended to benefit a lot from flame shock since 100% crit was impossible to get blizzlike. I think it might be too complicated to change a whole spell, and it might be a compromise that lavaburst hits decent in general, but not exceptionally more when flame shock is applied.

Edit:
    What I don't agree with is the flametongue on hit effect. It gives a decent amount of spellpower. It's just the scaling of the spells is bad. Elemental is really hard to balance tho because Enhancement profits from Spellpower way more than Elemental profits from attack power.

If they buff Flametongue on hit enhancement shamans will run FT again and just deal insane damage with hits while also hitting decent with spells.
    Balancing Ele without buffing Enha to an overkill is really hard. It needs time and testing.
    Last edited by Xyrez; 10-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyrez View Post
    Sounds about right. Lava Burst is intended to benefit a lot from flame shock since 100% crit was impossible to get blizzlike. I think it might be too complicated to change a whole spell, and it might be a compromise that lavaburst hits decent in general, but not exceptionally more when flame shock is applied.

Edit:
    What I don't agree with is the flametongue on hit effect. It gives a decent amount of spellpower. It's just the scaling of the spells is bad. Elemental is really hard to balance tho because Enhancement profits from Spellpower way more than Elemental profits from attack power.

If they buff Flametongue on hit enhancement shamans will run FT again and just deal insane damage with hits while also hitting decent with spells.
    Balancing Ele without buffing Enha to an overkill is really hard. It needs time and testing.
    I had a feeling it'd be hard to balance that when I was typing it. I thought enhance shams always used wf or frostbrand regardless of how good flametongue was, to be fair I've always played Elemental so I wasn't necessarily paying attention to Enhance

So true. Elem Shaman and Warlock in ass on dat server. Lots of talents not working or disabled.

I don't even see Warlocks, and the only shamans I see for the most part are either Enhancement or Resto
    Last edited by Mat0017; 10-14-2018 at 09:37 PM.